Current bankroll (10/14/2006):   $414

Sitting on the sidelines to see how this absurd new law pans out.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Isn't Life Funny Sometimes?

Results: 0 hours played; cleared $50 Bet365 bonus

I was trying to figure out how much longer I was going to try to clear this Bet365 bonus, but the good folks in their customer service department made my mind up for me. I sent them an email last night to find out how many raked hands I've played towards the bonus; their application wouldn't show me for some reason. They responded that because I'd played 250 raked hands , they went ahead and deposited the $50 bonus into my account. That took my total bankroll up to $389. I'm down $31 on Bet365.

I'm going to play a few more of the $2.50 tournaments this evening then request a cash out. I think I'll continue to play the weekly freeroll tournament on this site, but otherwise it's on to the next bonus.

Interestingly enough, I took a look at my Poker Tracker stats for all of my sessions on Bet365, and the losses may have less to do with the site than they do with my play. This was the first site that I've played on while chasing the bonus where Texas Calculatem worked, and I think I was leaning too heavily on it instead of my own intuition. As I've said before, it does a great job showing you your outs and what the other players are likely to have, but its play suggestions are too passive. Although it's a small sample, my stats surprised me:
VP$IP 25.83%
PFR 6.27%
Aggression Factor .96 (ouch!)
It looks like I played a few more hands that I usually like to play (I usually hover around 20%), my pre-flop raising was normal, but the total aggression factor was horrid -- I like to be somewhere between 2.0 and 3.0. Here are some details of the aggression number:

After the flop, I called/checked right around 60% of the time. No wonder I didn't have very many winning sessions.





I spent some of my home-game winnings this week on Harrington's tournament books. I saw that his new workbook will be released on 5/15, but I bought volume one and two. For some reason I get hammered heads-up; if anyone can help me, Harrington can. I'm visiting family at the end of the month, so I should have plenty of opportunity to read.

2 Comments:

At 3/06/2006 6:52 AM, Blogger Klopzi said...

Good job on picking up those Harrington books - they are worth their weight in gold if you plan to continue playing MTTs.

Just a quick note about your PT stats. I'd reason that you're aggression factor is low due to the large percentage of hands that you are playing.

At a 26% VP$IP, there must be a lot of times when you hit the flop but are unsure whether or not you are ahead.

Try tightening up to the point where you can play aggressively if you do hit the flop. For example, when the flop come K T 6 and you're playing a K5s, you're not really holding that great a hand. You can bet but you're most likely folding if you encounter resistance. Now, if you were holding AKs, you can 3-bet or cap the flop here knowing that your hand is probably best.

Use the fact that you're clearing bonuses to your advantage. Even if you only win a couple hands out of every 100, the bonuses will keep you ahead of the game.

Try reading Ed Miller's Small Stakes Hold'em or Lee Jones Winning Low-Limit hold'em - they should help. And if you've already read them, just re-read them again.

Poker's a marathon, not a sprint. It's a long road to profitability, but you're well on your way.

 
At 3/06/2006 6:53 AM, Blogger drewspop said...

Hey Kent, good deal. On to the next bonus. I have the second Harrington book (they didn't have the first one and I was impatient, shocker!). I thought it was a good book myself.

I am rereading Theory now during my commute on the train. Gotta keep improving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home