Current bankroll (10/14/2006):   $414

Sitting on the sidelines to see how this absurd new law pans out.

Monday, April 24, 2006

More SNG Tournament Play

Results: 3 hours played; up $40

I was home sick today with a migraine, and while the pain killers made it bearable, I played some SNG's on Linesmaker Poker. I'm not sure how many I played overall (6-7), but I think I played three $5, two $3, and a couple $10 tournaments. I came in second place on one of the $5 tournaments but was out of the money on the rest. On the last of the $10 tournaments, I was playing well but got sucked out by someone who was going all-in on every hand (and won every one that made it to showdown).

I was about to call it a day when I saw a $20 tournament about to start. Yes, I shouldn't have played, but it was going to be my last game of the day win or lose. This time, I decided to sit back and wait for big hands until there were five or less players left then turn up the heat. I won a couple big hands then lost one and was short stack once it got to five players.

Once my M got under 5, I started pushing all-in given any good cards. I lost the first one to someone with a shorter stack, and it left me with under $400 with $150/$300 blinds. I pushed with 67s on the next hand and tripled-up with a straight. I pushed again on the next hand with A2s and doubled-up with the wheel. This gave me a little breathing room.

The two big stacks (almost even) were bullying around the two short stacks at the table, so when the other short stack was in the hand (he was to my right), I generally folded. Eventually, he went all in and lost to a set of aces.

From that point on, I turned it up a notch. Any time I had position, I would raise to 3x to 4x the blind with any two decent cards. On one hand, the chip leader reraised me all-in after I raised with KK. It held up and I was the new chip leader.

From this point, it was pretty much a textbook game. I got sucked out on a few hands, but played pretty well and ended up winning it all -- $100 first place prize. I wish Linesmaker had better hand histories, but I did save the last five hands. Since I like the heads-up section of Dan Harrington's books so well, I'll post those hands with a similar commentary. Please comment as you see fit:

The final two players at a $20 NL ten-player tournament. Blinds are $200/$400

Hand 1
VILLAIN has $9240
HERO has $5160

Preflop: HERO has Q 5 in the small blind

Although he has almost a 2-1 ship lead, I'm not letting up the pressure. At the time, I thought this hand was better than a random hand, so I raised 3x the big blind. In fact, it is a 50.71% favorite against a random hand. Not a bad play in any case as I'd rather be on offense than defense at this point in the tournament. I also have position for the rest of the hand, which is worth a ton.

HERO raises to $1200.
VILLAIN calls.

He didn't show me anything with the call, but we'll see what happens on the flop. Unfortunately, I act first.

Flop ($2400 in pot): 8 A 9

VILLAIN checks.

I normally would bet a probe bet of about 1/3 to 1/2 the pot here, but he's been calling those all tournament long. My other option is to put out a pot-sized bet and keep my fingers crossed. I didn't feel great about my hand, and I shouldn't have -- it only has a 34.47% chance of winning at this point.

I'll just check and hope for the best.

HERO checks.

Turn ($2400 in pot): 3

VILLAIN checks.

This card probably didn't help him, and in case he's just stringing me along, I'm not going to do anything with it; my chances of winning the hand have actually dropped to 29.33%

HERO checks.

River ($2400 in pot): 5

VILLAIN checks.

I don't love this card, but my pair is probably better than his high card (I'm a 54.65% favorite against random cards). If I check, the winning hand could be a coin flip. I could do a probe bet, but he'd just call and we'd be back to the coin flip. I don't feel good enough about the hand to want him to call, so I make a pot-sized bet and hope he'll fold.

HERO raises $2400.
VILLAIN calls.

HERO shows a pair of Fives.
VILLAIN mucks.

HERO wins the pot of $7200 with a pair of Fives.


Hand 2
VILLAIN has $5840
HERO has $8560

Preflop: HERO has 7 Q in the big blind.
VILLAIN raises to $2000.

Although I have a playable hand (49.9%), I'm severely dominated if he has an ace or king or a high pair. It's not worth risking anything over this one.

HERO folds.
VILLAIN wins the pot of $800.


Hand 3
VILLAIN has $6040
HERO has $8360

Preflop: HERO has 7 8 in the small blind.

This is a worse hand than the last one, but I have the advantage of position for the rest of the hand. I feel like he stole the last pot from me, so I'm going to return the favor. If he raises, I'll have to make a decision about how much further I'll go. I'm raising 4x the blind.

HERO raises to $1600.
VILLAIN folds.

HERO wins the pot of $800.


Hand 4
VILLAIN has $5840
HERO has $8560

Preflop: HERO has T 5 in the big blind.

VILLAIN calls $400.

I really don't like my cards. Against a random two card hand, this one is a 44.94% underdog. I could raise here and try to push him off the pot, but my other option is to check and see the flop for free. I can then decide how to proceed.

HERO checks.

Flop ($800 in pot): 8 7 7

This flop didn't help me at all, but the chances are that it didn't help him either. I have a couple options here. I could check, but if he bets, I wouldn't know what it meant. Otherwise I could bet, but what should I bet. If I make a pot-sized bet and he folds, I'm happy, but if he calls, I haven't defined his hand and I'll end up spending more down the road. The best option is a probe bet of 1/3 to 1/2 the pot to see what he does.

HERO bets $400.
VILLAIN raises to $800.

Ok, he likes his hand, but he told me a little more than just that with this bet. He didn't bet enough to push me off the pot, so he probably wants me to call. I'm folding here.

HERO folds.

HERO wins the pot of $1600.


Hand 5
VILLAIN has $6440
HERO has $7960

Preflop: HERO has T 9 in the small blind.

If these were suited, I'd feel pretty good about them, but since I have position on later rounds, I think it's good enough for a raise. As it turns out, it's a 49.82% underdog, but that doesn't take position into account. At this point in the tournament, position is huge. I'll raise here my standard raise of 3x to 4x the blind.

HERO raises to $1600.
VILLAIN calls.

Flop ($3200 in pot): 4 9 Q

VILLAIN checks.

Ok, he's either saying that the flop didn't hit him (likely) or he's going to check-raise me. I haven't seen him check-raise at all, but that doesn't mean that he can't given the right situation. Without knowing what he has, I'm a 71% favorite here, so I'm raising, but how much? If he has a higher card (or cards), I don't want him to draw out on me, so I should make a pot-sized bet of $3200. However, he only has $4840 left, so I decide to bet large enough to put him all in.

HERO bets $5600.
VILLAIN calls and is all in.

VILLAIN shows: 5 3 (high card, Queen)
HERO shows: T 9 (a pair of Nines)

At this point he's a 1.86% underdog to make his flush on the next two cards, but it wasn't a terrible move for him to call. If I was bluffing, he would have won a nice pot. In fact, I'm only a 60% favorite after seeing his cards.

Turn: 5
River: 6

HERO wins the pot of $13680 with a pair of Nines.

Maybe I'll post one of my losing games the next time, but they won't be as interesting (unless I come in 2nd place). Linesmaker only saves the last five hands no matter who is in them. I guess I could try to save them all as I play, but that seems like a whole lot of work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home