Current bankroll (10/14/2006):   $414

Sitting on the sidelines to see how this absurd new law pans out.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Not a Good Night

Results: 2 hours played; down $11

I played for almost 2 hours tonight, and the cards just wouldn't fall for me. I was playing at a full table of $.25/$50 limit hold'em at Sporting Bet and ended the session down $11. This was my worst session since I started playing here. At one point I was down $21, so I can't complain too much.

The table was as loose as usual: 60% of the players were staying in to the flop (always a good sign). Unfortunately, you have to pick up some draws to take advantage of them. The guy sitting next to me could do no wrong; he doubled his $30 buy-in in under two hours.

Remember, poker = gambling.

3 Comments:

At 12/28/2005 6:58 AM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

Hey, Kent. Thanks for dropping by my blog. I've gone ahead and linked you up (if that's alright with you). Feel free to do the same.

In regards to limit playing, a little advice (which is probably the first thing in that book you bought, but just in case): when the table is playing that loose, tighten up. Play only the premium hands. If you still can't hit anything, try a new table or take a break. Don't let the fish tilt you. Conversely, when the table is tight, play aggressively. If you have a decent chip stack built, punish people for limping in pre-flop by raising when you're in late position with a decent hand. However, this probably will not work on a $.25/$.50 table since you're dealing with such small amounts. People fish with practically anything at that level. It should work at the $1/$2 level though.

 
At 1/01/2006 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For games like you're describing, hands down the best read on strategy is Ed Miller's low-limit hold 'em book.

Assuming you can beat the rake (a bit of a pain in low/micro-limit games where the rake is a larger % of most posts than at higher levels, it's certainly possible to be profitable in those sorts of games, but you've got to tolerate a higher degree of volatility in your short-run swings.

 
At 1/01/2006 8:54 AM, Blogger Kent said...

That's the book I've been reading. I'm into the section that quizes you on decisions with different hands. I'm probably 80% correct on the calls so far. It looks like I'm going to read this one again to make sure I understand all of the points.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home