Current bankroll (10/14/2006):   $414

Sitting on the sidelines to see how this absurd new law pans out.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

A Very Timely Bonus

Results: 2 hours played; down $16; $30 bonus cleared

I multi-tabled again tonight with results similar to last night. The bonus couldn't have cleared at a better time.

After thinking about it all day and reviewing my play tonight, I do have a few more insights:
  • Although the high pairs pre-flop keep me in the game, hitting flushes and straights are what makes me the real money. The pots are usually higher, and you're paid off for taking the draws. These last two nights I haven't hit one flush or straight.
  • Paraphrasing Ed Miller from his book, Small Stakes Hold 'em, if there's a good chance that you have the second-best hand on the river, get out. I chased hands both nights to be beaten a better kicker. That probably cost me $7-$10 over the two sessions.
  • There were four or five hands where a sleeper (caller) woke up with a bet on the turn or river. When that happens, I need to be a little more observant and think about what might have caused him to wake up. I know of at least two hands and $5 that I lost by not seeing this until after showdown.
  • I was tired from staying up to watch the game last night. When I sat down at the computer, I drank a beer to relax. This wasn't a good combination; I never drink when I gamble, and I really wasn't playing as much attention to the game as it deserved.
I was getting a little jaded by the winning sessions, but it's probably good that I'm getting some wake-up calls at these levels. I'm going to try to finish Miller's book over the next two evenings, go back and review a couple sections, and hopefully play better this weekend.

1 Comments:

At 1/06/2006 9:34 AM, Blogger Klopzi said...

Just wanted to say I stumbled across your blog today while looking for some info on Miller's starting hand charts.

Last May, I started on the same path you seem to be following - the build up my bankroll without investing much money.

If you are interested in seeing how I built up my bankroll without playing all that well, feel free to stop by. I can't say that my advice is all that great (if it was, I'd be playing far higher limits than I do now) - still, you may find it interesting.

Keep up the good work - maybe I'll see you at the tables sometime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home